Thursday, July 15, 2010

OOPS!

Hello friends,

Yesterday, as I drove to an appointment, I noticed a bumpersticker that I hadn't seen before.  It said "OOPS!", and the O's were the Obama Os with the sun rising over red and white stripes against a blue background.  I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I wondered about the car's driver.

The sticker made me curious if the driver voted for Obama and regretted it, or if he was simply pointing out what he considered a mistake.  I have several friends and aquaintances who voted for Obama and have since wished they hadn't.  I won't tell you for whom I voted, only that I wasn't thrilled with either prospect.

And this, my friends, is the point: since I have been of age to vote, there has not been a "great" choice for president yet.  Even McCain, of whom I had high hopes, sold out in the first few months of his campaign.  One friend says she would have loved it if the Obama she voted for had moved into the White House, but sadly the guy with all the potential hasn't shown up for work yet (her words, not mine). 

So this rambling post comes to you on a hot Thursday afternoon filled with questions and concerns about whether or not we as a country can put forth a decent leader anymore.  We're so busy looking for someone perfect that we've lost sight of looking for someone who can do the job.  After all, that is what the Presidency is: a job.  It has a list of duties, and we need the best people to do the work, not the best people to look good on tv or the people with the best speech writers.

If you're having regrets, remember that when the elections come around.  Find out which candidates are good people, not just good lookers.  Finally, a note of wisdom paraphrased from a TV show: some of the greatest minds and people of all time held simple jobs.  Do not equate wisdom and competence with occupation.  To do so is, at best, insulting. (from "Warehouse 13")

I hope you're enjoying your summer, friends.  Remember to live freely in the day, to live for today, and to live in respect for yourself and the world around you.

Take care,
MK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for voicing your opinion respectfully.