Monday, December 21, 2009

Small Government: Big Responsibility

Today's blog post will be rather short; we have very little time left until Christmas, and I have cookies to bake.  Still, the fact that I am summarizing my perspective a bit should not diminish the weight of my message.  To put it succinctly, small government is not for the weak.

Living in a nation as ours was intended to be requires a great deal of personal responsibility.  Basically, I believe that government is there to do for us as a group what we cannot do as individuals.  Primarily, those things are wage war, uphold contracts, and regulate trade when it crosses state and national boundaries.  The government is not here to save us from ourselves.

I know it's sad when a small child drowns, but does that really mean we need a law to protect every child in America from ever sticking its head in a bucket again?  I know it's sad when a kid dies in a car accident, but does that mean the parents have any right to crusade for a law that takes away my parental rights to decide when my kid is big enough to not require a child seat?

Please, I beg of you all- think about the rights we chip away when we pass these laws.  Think about the added expense and bureaucracy our government requires to enforce them.  Please- stop trying to protect me from myself and the world around me.  I can take care of that, and if I fail, well, that's on me.

Respectfully,
MK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for voicing your opinion respectfully.