Friday, December 18, 2009

University of Phoenix: Enroll Now

I heard an odd comment the other day, and it disturbed me deeper than I first realized.  A man in his forties said, "It's not my fault I didn't go to college.  No one ever told me I could."

My initial reaction to this was a bit skeptical.  How does someone get through four decades of life and not realize how many opportunities there are to go to college in this country?  No, it's not easy, nor is it cheap.  It's not a secret, though.

Next I felt a bit sad for the man.  Everyone should have someone that believes in them.  Every child should be told that, if college is their dream, nothing should stop them from getting a degree.

My pity faded, though, on the realization that this man was blaming everyone in the world for his lack of education except himself.  I can understand this in a kid, but is this even remotely acceptable for a person in his forties?  I've seen entirely too many people overcome incredible hardships to earn their degrees.  People make it through college with no money, working two jobs, supporting aging or ill parents, dealing with pregnancies and marriage, and living with physical disabilities and learning impairments.

I'm sorry, sir.  I think you're lying to yourself.  By now you should have learned to cope with not receiving a special invitation to the academic world.  You have society's permission.  By all means, please get your degree.

Sincerely,
MK (NCSU class of '04)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for voicing your opinion respectfully.